Hot Pepper Vinegar

by Nealey on August 20, 2010

Pepper Vinegar1

As a child, I cringed when my father would grab the bottle of pepper vinegar at the Cracker Barrel and douse everything on his plate with it. “Ewwww,” I would squeal in disgust. Many of my father’s eating habits — from olives to pickles to pepper vinegar — scarred me well into adolescence. While I still loathe olive and pickles, I’ve come around to the latter. Now I like to splash pepper vinegar in my green beens, my collards, and as of lately, fried okra. So very tasty.

Hot peppers are still in season down South, so get yourself to a farmers market (or in my case, the Mexican grocer on Buford Highway) and go gangbusters with all shapes, sizes, and colors. Or you can use just one type of pepper, with the heat of your liking.

To make the vinegar, place the peppers in a jar or bottle of your choice. Bring apple cider vinegar (enough to fill the jars) and a generous pinch of salt to a boil. Pour the hot vinegar over the peppers, seal, and store in a cool dry place. Allow to sit for at least a week before using in order to develop the best flavors. Sprinkle on everything.

Pepper vinegar2

{ 1 trackback }

The Great (Brunswick Stew) Debate of 2010
October 7, 2010 at 12:46 pm

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

Gale Reeves August 20, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Just found your blog from the CNN Blog Spotlight. Beautiful pictures. Love your blog name!

Kate (Southern-Belle-Simple) August 21, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I’m pretty much a fan of anything pickled….I’m currently growing some peppers in pots on my back porch right now. Can’t wait to try this with them! Love your wonderful blog so much! xoxo

kirsten August 23, 2010 at 11:33 am

Found your blog from Eatocracy-looks great!
I’d like to use my CSA hot pepper stash to make this vinegar. I’ve made hot pepper jelly but this intrigues me.
When you say to seal it, do you mean to just put a lid on it or to process it in a water bath until it seals?
I’ve never done a vinegar before so I just want to make sure that I’m not misinterpreting a step.

Thanks!
Kirsten

Rachel ~ Southern Fairytale August 25, 2010 at 8:54 am

I LOVE hot pepper vinegar! I’m like you, at first all those ‘southern=y’ vinegary things not so much.. as I grew and my palate matured, bring. it. on!

gorgeous photos!

Melissa August 26, 2010 at 8:49 am

Love it!! I think I’m gonna do this for my neighbors and friends for Christmas presents. By December the vinegar will be perfect, no?

Alechia June 15, 2013 at 9:41 am

My boyfriend and I made some with our pepper that we had leftover from our pepper crop last late summer and fall. We had so many that our friends and family were tired of eating the pepper. My boyfriend coworker brought some of his pepper vinegar sauce to work. My boyfriend know right then that he wanted to make some. We have over 15 different pepper last year. This year we try to find all the some pepper. But this year we have some of the some pepper. But a few we could not find. We add our pepper in a big jar with a Handle that easy to dip into. The jar might be a 2-3 gal. We let the pepper soak for 3 weeks and up to 6 months in the icebox. The longer it set the hottier it will get. Then add the little round onion,garlic,carrot(not whole, slice) and cilantro. This recipe make a lot. All the coworker that my boyfriend work with love our pepper vinegar sauce. As well as our friends and family. They have ask for more when it’s ready.