“Football Sandwiches”

by Nealey on September 9, 2010

ham and swiss slider

SEC football kicked off this past Saturday (WAR EAGLE!), and I’m so excited to be back South and back in the action. While I’m desperately looking forward to all the big games coming up, I’m even more excited about a few other things that come along with the season: game day dresses, bourbon cocktails, and tailgating to name a few (do you even know how hard it is to find a cute outfit in the appropriate shade of orange and blue?). More importantly, I’m ready for the food. Oh man, Southerners really know how to bring out all the stops when it comes to tailgate cuisine.

My initial goal was to kick off the the festivities with a tried-and-true Thompson tailgate recipe featured on Dixie Caviar. Instead, I went out dancing on Friday night and celebrated a wee bit too hard. Jager Bombs, anyone? Seems the big 2-7 is already catching up with me, and I can’t quite hold my liquor as well as I used to.

Quite hung-over, I pulled myself out of bed on Saturday morning determined to make “football sandwiches,” a.k.a. ham and swiss sliders with poppy seed sauce. It was these or pizza delivery, and I’d already purchased all of the ingredients. Um, I didn’t realize football sandwiches would be the ultimate cure to my ailing, dehydrated body. Move over, Domino’s.

Unfortunately I had to work Saturday night, so instead of these being served as tailgate food, they wound up as my contribution to family meal at the restaurant where I waitress. I was a little nervous about serving something so — well, how would you say it, low brow — to such acclaimed chefs, but when the sous chef went back for round two and then round three, I knew they were a success.

You really have no idea how good these are until you try them. The sum is definitely greater than the parts. These sliders are going to be in my tailgating arsenal for years to come.

Keep on the look out for more football food in the weeks to come…Up next, spicy bloody Mary’s!

FOR THE SLIDERS

2 packages (of 12) “Kings Hawaiian” rolls (sweet Hawaiian or butter flavored)
2 (6 oz.) packages sliced swiss cheese
1 (9 oz.) package thinly sliced honey ham

FOR THE SAUCE:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
2 tablespoons prepared mustard (spicy brown or dijon)
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Slice rolls in half using a serrated knife. Arrange bottom halves of rolls in a large casserole dish (or 2 small ones) and top with ham and cheese. Re-cover with the tops.

For the sauce: Mix together butter, mustard, poppy seeds, and Worcestershire sauce until well combined. Drizzle the sauce over the tops of the sliders. Cover with aluminum foil and allow to sit for at least 30 minutes, or overnight. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve warm or at room temperature. YIELDS: 8 – 10 servings.

{ 4 trackbacks }

Football Sandwiches « The Foodinista
September 12, 2010 at 1:28 pm
Spinach and Artichoke Dip | Dixie Caviar
January 31, 2011 at 8:18 pm
Where the Boys Are: The LAN Party | Rogue Bride
September 20, 2012 at 12:01 am
Round Up: Dixie Caviar’s Super Bowl Favorites | Dixie Caviar
January 31, 2013 at 1:46 pm

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Kate September 9, 2010 at 1:19 pm

i absolutely love these little puppies! they are so easy to make and everyone always gobbles them up. and i just got back from nyc where frou frou food abounds, but a tiny fig on a plate with a tiny scoop of mascarpone doesn’t hold a candle to our beloved southern concoctions…low brow or not! would like to go out with you sometime for jager and other good times! xoxo

Nealey September 10, 2010 at 11:14 am

Hope you had fun in New York. Agreed, Southern food runs circles around their Yankee fare!

Kellye September 9, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I just wanted to let you know how much i love your blog! I stumbled across it as I was researching the recipe for Dixie Caviar for our own tailgate. (Go Vols!) The beer cheese dip was a huge it last week! Keep up the good work :) Can’t wait to try them all

Jes September 10, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Southern football, how I miss it! I am getting to go to the GT vs. Virginia Tech game this year, at least…but that’s as southern as we get up here. No cute dresses for it either!

Love the sliders–I used to gobble those up back in the day before I went vegan. Now that I’m not vegan anymore I might have to make them soon!

thefoodinista September 11, 2010 at 4:32 pm

is it sacrilegious to serve these to a yankee (aka my new yorker husband) tomorrow for giants v panthers? can’t wait to try!

Sommer J September 13, 2010 at 9:45 am

These look absolutely fabulous! Quick and yum my fave!

Alyssa September 13, 2010 at 2:45 pm

This recipe is the kind that makes me smile: simple, but so delicious (I haven’t even tried the sandwiches, but I can just tell). I followed The Foodinista’s post over here. So happy I found your blog! I’m a total stranger to southern cuisine, but I look forward to learning more.

Christine September 13, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Coming from a New York Yankee, I’ll be happy to take down a dozen of these with no problem.

Bring on the country chic!

meg September 17, 2010 at 12:38 pm

these look absolutely delicious! i love finding new things to make for football days (since every weekend is entirely devoted to football in my house…) – i can’t wait to try these. thanks for sharing!

Megan October 1, 2010 at 8:07 am

Nealy these were amazing! They were gone within 15 minutes of putting the tray out on the table. Keep the awesome recipes coming sister.

Katie {The Social Secretary} February 3, 2011 at 4:58 pm

100% trying these this weekend!

mamacita September 25, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I’ve had this bookmarked for so long I can’t even remember how I got here. I finally made them today and they were a big hit. I made a few with cheddar, and they were great, too. Thanks so much.

Lisa October 30, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I love these sandwiches! They’ve been a staple in my house for years. A crowd pleaser, they’ve appeared at tailgates and baby showers alike! I’ve always done them with the butter mixture on the inside, wrapped in foil and baked. What a great alternative to pour mixture on top! Fab-u-lous!

Taylor November 11, 2011 at 8:59 am

I love everything about your blog and these sandwiches except one thing…. (ROLL TIDE! :) )