Recipe: Dixie Caviar

by Nealey on August 2, 2012

Dixie Caviar Recipe

One of my first posts here at Dixie Caviar was obviously the recipe for its namesake. The blog (and the recipe) has come a long way since those humble beginnings, so it seemed time to give the original post a fresh new look. Here it is again, folks, Dixie Caviar in all its Southern glory. Four years later and it continues to please…

Dixie Caviar Recipe

(The excerpt below is taken from the ’09 recipe archives.)

“So what the heck is Dixie Caviar?”

Yes, I get that one a lot. And no, Dixie Caviar is not some fluffy-sounding name that conceals an otherwise nasty animal product—trust me, it is no rocky mountain oysters. Dixie Caviar is actually a crazy-easy, crazy-addictive appetizer made famous here in the South. (Southerners have an amazing ability to “fancify” anything we get our hands on, canned black-eyed peas included.) You may have heard it called Texas, or Cowboy, Caviar; either way, it’s delicious no matter the name.

Dixie Caviar was introduced to me by my boyfriend fiance’s sweet mother Tina the very first time we met. I was hooked after just one bite; it may be simple but damn it sure does pack a flavor punch. (It’s no wonder that it’s her signature appetizer.) Tina sent me back to Los Angeles with the recipe in tow, and it has definitely earned its fair share of sky miles. No future barbecue or birthday party shall ever be without it again!

Little did I know that it would one day inspire the very title of this blog. Talk about an Aha! moment—Dixie Caviar was the first name to come to mind, and it was the last. (Why keep looking when you’ve already found perfection?) Of course I love the appetizer, but more importantly the name perfectly represents my style in the kitchen:  little bit country, a little bit ‘Cal. It’s a double whammy, for sure.

Dixie Caviar Recipe

DIXIE CAVIAR

Dixie Caviar is the perfect dip for outdoor parties and tailgates because it keeps forever and you don’t have to worry about it going bad. The best part? There’s never any left! Use this recipe as a “kitchen sink”—I don’t think I’ve ever made the same batch twice. I’ve used black beans, canned pimentos, scallions, shallots, and more. Throw in whatever you have on hand! I’ve tried to gussy it up before with homemade Italian dressing, but it’s just not as good. Suck it up and buy a bottle.

Source: Nealey Dozier, adapted from Tina Thompson
Yields: 3 cups

1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 cup fresh or frozen yellow corn (thawed if frozen)
1 small sweet onion, preferably Vidalia
1 small red bell pepper, diced small
1 small green bell pepper, diced small
3/4 cup Italian salad dressing (I use Kraft Zesty Italian)
Kosher salt and pepper, to taste

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl. Chill for an hour before serving to let the flavors combine. Serve with Lay’s Classic potato chips or tortilla chips.

Dixie Caviar Recipe

{ 1 trackback }

Culinary Musings: What Recipes Do You Know By Heart? | Dixie Caviar
August 17, 2012 at 3:10 pm

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

MissMessy August 2, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Wow congrats on the long run :) i’ve never tried this being from the UK, think i might have to try it!

Nealey August 2, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Oh I love to hear from you guys across the pond! And I promise, I would never name my blog after a bad appetizer ;)

Sara August 2, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I’ve wondered about your blog title before. This looks like a perfect namesake appetizer!

farrar August 3, 2012 at 9:04 am

I make this A LOT during football season, it is fast, easy, and ALWAYS a hit!! I am like you, I never make it the same way twice! Sometimes I use green chili’s instead of bellpeppers, sometimes I add jalepeno’s, sometimes I add green onions instead of red onions, I ALWAYS add a little minced garlic. YUM!! I want to go make some now!!! :0) I LOVE your blog!! I am an avid reader, usually don’t comment. But had to add my two-cents on this classic favorite around our house! PLEASE post more appitizer recipes, football is just around the corner and I need some new ideas!! Roll Tide! :0)

Nealey August 4, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment—hearing from my readers means the world to me, and keeps me encouraged to share the (food) love.

P.S. I hear your request for appetizers loud and clear, and I’ll be working on some new tailgate recipes soon!

Sarah August 3, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Happy 4 year anniversary! Your blog name is so clever. Thanks for sharing the roots of your blog name. I could probably eat a whole bowl of dixie cavier without any chips.

Nealey August 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Sometimes I’ll make a version of it with a just a little olive oil & red wine vinegar that I serve as a potluck side… It’s a bit lighter than with the Italian dressing but still as good.

Molly August 3, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Wow, that stuff looks like it would make some delicious Dixie Nachos, too!

Dawn July 17, 2013 at 11:46 am

My version has jalapeno instead of green pepper and loads of cilantro. Mmmm.